What are the topmost postoperative care tips for spinal fusion surgery?
Recovery timeline for Spinal Fusion
When the patient undergoes spine surgery in Ludhiana they can get back home after 2 to 4 days. Ideally, it takes around 4 to 6 weeks to get back to the office or the job routine. But, to be more physically active you need to wait for at least 3 months or longer according to your health. In some cases, the patient can wear braces so that they can get support.
What are the factors which slow down the recovery time?
It takes around 3 to 6 months for the adjacent vertebrae to fuse into solid bone following surgery. In some cases the patient can take a long time due to the following factors:
- Smoking or other nicotine products (which contain toxins that hamper bone growth)
- Obesity and osteoporosis
- Certain chronic illnesses, such as diabetes
- Long-standing use of opioids before surgery
- Prednisone medication
How to plan for spinal fusion?
You should prepare in advance following the surgery so that the recovery goes smoothly:
- Everyday items should be accessible easily. You should keep the common item in easy to reach places.
- You should prepare for the meals. Make sure you do not stand for a long time and move for a long time.
- You should ask for assistance. If you want to do heavy work then ask someone to help you.
What are the restrictions following spinal fusion surgery?
- The patient should not bend. If you bend at the hips and knees then it can create problems.
- You should not lift anything as it can put pressure on the spine.
- You should drive following the surgery as the car rides need to be limited during the recovery period.
How to sleep following the surgery?
While you are recovering from lumbar spine surgery, you need to keep it straight into and out of bed. You should keep in mind the following things:
- It is best to sit on the bed edge.
- Rolling onto the back.
- Keep the head down when you lift the legs.
- You can use a different pillow to see in which one you feel the most comfortable.
What is the crucial time for fusion?
During 1 to 3 months following the surgery, the lumbar fusion bone mass should be established. When the fusion is strengthening and growing together, the movements need to be avoided to prevent stress at the fused segments. It is best that you avoid excess lifting, twisting the upper body to the sides, and bending backward and forward.
When you should increase the activity level?
When the pain increases the energy level rises. The patient can start doing more of the following activities as suggested by the surgeon which includes walking a long distance, driving, and doing light work around the home.
The patient will recover properly after 8 months. The bone will continue to evolve for around 12 to 18 months.