Several people are experiencing herniated disc pain and discomfort due to several reasons. If you are one of them, then you need to consult a surgeon, so that you can get the right treatment on time. In this article you will get knowledge about treatment options for herniated disc.
Millions of people across the world are suffering from herniated disc problems. This condition leads them to severe pain and discomfort; also they feel difficult to perform day-to-day activities properly. In this condition, they need to visit the spine surgeon so that they can get endoscopic spine surgery. Well, the main aim of each patient’s diagnosis is to better alleviate herniated disk pain and other symptoms. In order to get rid of severe pain and discomfort due to herniated discs, you need to find the best surgeon. Only a surgeon can make a plan for you on the basis of the reason behind the discomfort and pain, the severity of the pain, and the particular symptoms that you are experiencing.
In general, patients are typically recommended to undergo non-surgical treatment first. If he is unable to get relieved from pain with non-surgical treatment, only then he needs to undergo herniated disk spine surgery. While that is usually accurate, early surgical intervention is helpful for certain patients. In certain cases, if a patient experiences major weakness in his arms or legs due to a nerve root pinching from a herniated disk, then getting surgery is a good solution.
Lumbar herniated disc treatments
A variation of the following traditional treatment methods can be considered for at least the first six weeks of irritation, discomfort, and pain-:
- Physical therapy, meditation, and supportive stretching to help alleviate nerve root pressure
- Ice and heat treatments for pain reduction
- Treating your pain with the help of chiropractic manipulation
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) such as-:
- COX-2 inhibitors for pain relief
- You may need to take Narcotic pain relief medications
- Oral steroids are also useful to decrease inflammation and get relief from pain.
- Some doctors recommend Epidural injections to get rid of the pain.
Cervical herniated disc treatments
The main and foremost steps of Conservative treatments for a cervical herniated disc are taking proper rest and you can also go with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including naproxen, ibuprofen, and COX-2 inhibitors. Apart from them, you can also go with-:
- Oral medications to alleviate swelling and pain reduction
- Oral medication for extreme pain
- When the discomfort persists more than four weeks or one month, the following traditional treatments can give you relief from pain and discomfort include-:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation or help ease nerve root pressure
- Low-speed chiropractic adjustment can be helpful; however, care should be used for adjustment.