Consulting the orthopedic surgeon is the right choice to undergo the effective treatment plan from the right spine hospital in Ludhiana. The disc replacement should be considered only 4 to 6 of non-surgical treatment has failed.
What are the goals of cervical disc replacement surgery?
- Maintain motion at the repaired spinal level
In comparison to fusion surgery, an artificial disc replacement helps in maintaining natural motion at the spinal level where the operation occurs which can lead to less stress on adjacent segments.
- Relieve spinal nerve compression
Removal of the damaged disc and restoring the normal disc height, the painful spinal nerve root gets decompressed and it can start to heal. This helps to get relief from arm or neck pain. the neurological defects will not get worse such as weakness or numbness.
In certain cases, the studies have shown that cervical artificial disc replacement reduces arm and neck pain about as well as ACDF surgery. However, less data is available for surgery of cervical disc replacement because this procedure is new. Additionally, people with more advanced spinal degeneration might not be the ideal candidates for an artificial disc.
How cervical disc replacement is performed?
The typical disc replacement surgery includes the different steps which include:
- In the front of the neck, a 1 to 2-inch incision is made.
- A thin platysma muscle is included just beneath the skin which is cut and moved aside.
- Once the vertebrae are exposed, the damaged disc is assessed and removed. During the removal it is possible, a small portion can be left intact.
- The normal disc space height between the adjacent vertebrae is restored which helps in making the room for the artificial disc.
- The surgeon inserts the artificial disc with the X-ray procedure. The disc is inserted between the open space and the adjacent vertebrae. Your surgeon will suggest the best artificial disc according to your condition. After that, the incision is made.
The patients can get back to their home for 1 to 2 days following the surgery. The doctor will suggest the treatment plan according to your situation.
Potential risks of cervical artificial disc replacement
The cervical disc replacement surgery is considered a safe procedure that is performed by the medical health professional. Some of the possible risks and complications with the surgery are:
- Nerve damage
- Failure to relieve pain
- Artificial disc may migrate or fail over time
Before you choose to undergo the cervical disc replacement, you need to ask the doctor about the potential risks and benefits.