If you are suffering from backache, then you are not the only person with the problem. It is a common problem for many people. It is one of the most common medical problems people face.
Back pain can be felt in various forms like a dull ache to sudden sharp pain. It may be caused due to a sprain, fracture, or another accidental injury. It can also be caused due to arthritis or spinal problems. It may also be caused due to a sedentary lifestyle. While it may take some time to figure out your back pain causes, it will pay you if you can follow the below-mentioned tips –
- Get physically active –Regular physical activity is known to bring relief from back pain. Sure you must not strain yourself with too much exercise if the pain is extreme. However, resting for more than 2 days will act against you. It is better that you follow an active lifestyle.
- Keep control over your weight-If you are adding extra pounds in your midsection, then your back pain may become worse. It is because the centre of gravity gets shifted if we put on weight in the central area. As a result, there will be more strain on the lower back.
- Curtail smoking -It will help if you stop smoking. Smoking inhibits the flow of blood to the spinal discs due to which there is no supply of nutrients to the spine, making it especially prone to back pain.
- Sleeping position– It will help if you can talk to your doctor about your sleeping position. Your sleeping position may make the difference between a pain-free and a painful back. The doctor may suggest sleeping on your side with your knees pulled up. If you prefer to sleep on your back,then it will help to put one pillow under your knees and the second under your lower back. Sleeping on your stomach is not considered very well for back pain patients. If it is the only way you sleep, then consider placing a pillow under your hips.
- Poor posture– Opt for a chair which has a straight back or low-back support for preventing back pain. Keeping your knees higher than your hips while being seated will prevent back pain. If you are required to stand for a prolonged period, then maintain a proper head up and stomach in posture.