What is a spinal cord injury?
Spinal cord injury is damage to the spinal cord. This condition is extremely serious and it can leave a long-lasting impact on the quality of life.
The spinal cord performs the function of sending messages from the brain to different parts of the body. We can move our limbs and perceive pain because of messages sent through the spinal cord. If you are experiencing pain in excess in the spine, then make sure to consult the best orthopedic surgeon. Our surgeon will tell you according to your condition whether you need to undergo spine surgery in Ludhiana.
How does spinal cord injury occur?
Mostly the injuries occur because of unpredictable accidents or violent events. The following can also result in spinal cord damage:
- Diving into the water which is too shallow and hitting the bottom.
- The person falling from a height.
- Electrical accidents.
- Severe twisting of the torso middle portion.
- Trauma is caused due to a car accident, which especially hit the head, face, chest, and neck area.
- Sporting events resulted in the head or spinal injury.
What are the symptoms of spinal cord injury?
Some symptoms of a spinal cord injury include:
- Difficulty walking
- Loss of control of the bladder or bowels
- Pain, pressure, and stiffness in the back or neck area
- Signs of shock
- Unnatural positioning of the head
- Inability to move the arms or legs
- Feelings of spreading numbness or tingling in the extremities
What do I need to do if I suspect the issue?
First of all, you need to consult the spine doctor right away to get an understanding of which treatment is best. Additionally, follow the given steps:
- You should not move the person in any way unless it is necessary. It can include repositioning the person’s head or making an effort to remove the helmet.
- The patient should stay still no matter what, even if they are not able to move or get up on their own.
- If the person is not breathing, then CPR is required. Make sure to not tilt the head back and move the jaw forward.
When the patient arrives at the hospital, a neurological exam is conducted by the doctor to determine where the injury is. Some of the diagnostic tools are mentioned below:
- CT scans
- X-rays of the spine
- Evoked potential testing, which measures how quickly nerve signals reach the brain
What can I do to prevent spinal cord injury?
Spinal cord injury mostly occurs due to unpredictable events. Some of the factors which can help to reduce the risk factors are:
- Make sure to wear the seatbelt when you are in a car.
- You need to wear protective gear while playing sports.
- Make sure to drive safely and do not go to an area that is full of rocks.